Thursday

My Favorite Holiday

My great-nephew Jett had his 8th birthday party on November 21.
He sure is growing up. I can see his little personality changing every time I'm around him.
 I like to listen to him talk about his PlayStation and games. He is quite the gamer these days.
He has outgrown the simple things. It's electronics and gadgets nowadays.
I watched him toss football with his little cousins at his party and it seems like it was only yesterday that he was sitting in a high chair.
We had lunch with Sterl and Debi after church on November 22. Afterwords, I went to spend some time with mom.
I went for a massage on Monday, November 23, before heading over to watch Brooke cheer at the basketball game.
We took two units to my sisters church on Tuesday, November 24 to dry and clean. We went to dinner at El Tapatio in Sparta with my sister and brother-in-law while we were there.
 Devin got a haircut today and he looks so handsome.
Wednesday, November 25 was a day full of running all over town. It was meant to be a day to get Thanksgiving food prepared,, but it didn't work out that way. I went to Wal-Mart and Lowe's. I painted the base board in the Laundry Room because it has been bothering me for far too long.
We also went back to my sister's church to pick up our dry and units that are ready for their next delivery.
It was 10 pm before I got started on food preparation. I got to bed just a little before 1am on Thursday, November 26...THANKSGIVING!  I don't even know how this happened....I mean,..
I never use this enough to wear out the handle 🤔😒
Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday you know? Although it is gradually falling away from it's original purpose of celebrating family and togetherness, it has become my favorite because it is not about "what am I getting?" or fireworks or hunting eggs or bounce houses.
It's my favorite holiday because it still involves thanking God for what we have, spending a little time with family, and food.
I took notice of a commercial this year that said
"remember when the four letter word that defined the season was L.O.V.E. and not S.A.L.E."
That one phrase really sums up what the world is letting holiday's come to.
 I don't want to let go of the holiday's that I grew up with.
The ones where, if you needed a stick of butter, you knocked on the neighbors door and asked to borrow some. You did this for two reasons... because neighbors were friends who shared, and because NOTHING was open on Thanksgiving day. Not a market, not a gas station, not a restaurant...Nothing.
Nowadays, you throw some turkey down your throat while thumbing through digital coupons waiting on a 4pm doorbuster sale. 😔
In the last 30 years, we have somehow evolved from Thanksgiving's like this
to Thanksgiving's like this
As for me, I am holding on to the traditional stuff just as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment