Thursday

She's Gone

I got up Tuesday morning, April 11th and got ready for work. As I went to put my phone in my purse, I noticed a text from Kevin that said "mom wants you to call her".  It was from midnight the night before. Even though it was seven hours later, I dialed moms number and let the phone ring about twenty times.  Mom never answered. I text Kevin back and told him that I just now seen the text and that I tried to call mom but she didn't answer. I told him that she must be asleep now.
I went on in to work and of course, people were asking about her and asking what the doctor said. I told them exactly what mom told me the day before. "I went to see her and she was doing better". I explained that when I got there, she didn't want to go to the doctor, she just wanted me to come see her.  I was also talking about how she needs a better geriatric doctor. My co-worker printed off a list of geriatric doctors for me to look into.
Around 8:30 am, my phone rang and it was Kevin. My heart sank a little as I answered it.
Me: "Hello"
Kevin: "Heather, I'm out here at momma's....the ambulance is here..."
Me: "Is she okay?..."
Kevin: " (Deep breath)...She's gone..."

And just like that, part of me died too.  I remember standing up. I remember telling Kevin that I was on my way. I remember not knowing what I was supposed to do next.
I managed to call my sister who hung up the phone saying "no, no, no".  I also managed to call Stroker who left work and came straight over to pick me up.
I'm not sure how I made it through that day, but I did. We all did. Mike was a nightmare on top of the nightmare of losing mom, but we all (except Mike) stepped up and did as we were supposed to.
We made funeral arrangements, we scheduled visitation, we picked out an outfit for mom, ordered a pall of yellow roses for her casket, and Kevin and Darlene picked out a beautiful pink casket that mom would have loved to seen herself.
In disbelief, grief, and numbness, we fumbled our way through the process of mom's final arrangements.


No comments:

Post a Comment