Thursday

Way Too Soon

Well, today was the day. Not only was it a birthday, but it was a milestone. The day that my Devin entered adulthood. Of course, not much changed from his normal daily routine, and yet it seems everything has changed. In his mind, he thought things would be a lot different starting today, but as we all learn, changes in our life don't just happen because of a date on a calendar. Devin thought that he could take the day off of school since he is now 18. I quickly informed him differently. He also thought that going to church or staying home would now be his decision. Again, he stood corrected. One thing turning 18 did not change, is the fact that he is still my baby and he always will be.
Until he graduation, we are still going to function, live and breathe by the Hayes House code of ethics. The only thing that being 18 means for now, is that he is legally old enough to be punished by law should he make bad choices. Sometimes being an adult has its downsides. I hope he makes good decisions in life. I hope he adapts well to the grown up world and I pray for Gods guidance and gentle corrections when Devin veers from Him.
As I have explained to Devin numerous times...I have made many parenting mistakes, but I am learning too. There are many things that I would do differently if I could, but we just don't get a trial run on raising our kids. One thing that I have done, is love him every minute of every day with my whole heart.
I know that for a couple more months, he will be here at home where I know he is safe and far from trouble. After that walk across the stage and into the real world, the true worries will begin for me. I dread it so badly. Oh how I wish he was little again. The years sure flew by.
We celebrated tonight with dinner at O'Charley's. Gary and Darlene came over to join us. We had cake at home afterwords. Even a new dog showed up in our fence today to celebrate with us, but Stoker set that little doggie back on the road. Two dogs are plenty for this yard. It is your day Devin...I hope you have a happy one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment