Sunday

The Saga Continues

I received a text from Devin at school on Monday, January 13, that said "come pick me up". After a few messages back and forth, I knew the panic attack was in full swing. I've never had a panic attack, but I have learned a lot about them in the last couple of weeks. I had already explained to Devin that he was going to have to learn to control his breathing, try techniques to calm himself and learn to get through the attacks. If these are going to be persistent, he is going to have to cope with them instead of retreating to his room until they pass.
Devin managed the school day and Monday, but dreads the next episode. We went over calming techniques after dinner at El Tap on Monday.  To be honest, I think I am on the verge of some sort of "break down" or "attack". Not being able to just "fix" the problem that my children encounter is overwhelming and exhausting. I am the parent, I want to make it go away...but I can't. I have prayed about it, so now I have to let God handle it. I completely trust God in this, it is just hard for me to wait.
On Tuesday, January 14, I cooked dinner at home. I really, really really want to make a lifestyle change and prepare home cooked meals more frequently. I know it is healthier for all of us, but old habits are hard to break. By the time that Brookelynn got out of Power Athletics, dinner was ready to eat. By the time dinner was ate and dishes were washed, it was time for baths and bed. That is just one of the pitfalls of working all day and cooking at home. There just isn't time for much else.
Wednesday, January 15, was the day that I took Devin to see his doctor. She confirmed the panic attacks and told Devin that the day his fingers were tingling at school was due to hyperventilating.  She suggested breathing into a paper bag if it happens again.
She decided to send him for an echo-cardiogram just to be safe.
Before church Wednesday  evening, Stroker spread grass seed and straw in the yard to cover some of the mud where Kimba has dug holes. It's a bit early for seeding, but our yard looks like someone has been digging for lost treasure. 
Stroker was offered a job in the shipping department at his work on Thursday, January 16. He is pretty sure that he is going to go for it. Devin went for his echo-cardiogram Thursday as well. I also had to make a trip to Sparta Thursday evening.
Friday evening, January 17, Stroker and I grabbed Taco Bell in the drive thru for the kids, then he and I went to IHOP for dinner. It feels good to have dinner for two.
Saturday, January 18, was a nice day to get outdoors. Stroker rotated the tires on the trailer and followed that by grilling burgers. Brooke's "Rainbow Loom" arrived in the mail so she has mad dozens of bracelts, hair bows and phone cases. 
After church on Sunday, January 19, we went to daddy's for lunch. We followed that with a visit at mom's. We also returned the dog crate that we borrowed from Kevin since Kimba is trained to not leave the front rug when she is in the house. 
Although I am trying to cook at home more, we wound up at Cheddar's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment