Friday

Looking Back

Tonight at dinner, I began a story with "let me tell you what I was doing on this day 25 years ago". I  immediately got smirky looks from Devin, Brookelynn and Stroker followed by Stroker's comment "yeah right...like you remember what you did on this day 25 years ago". 
I assured him that after I told my story, he would remember this day too (and he did).  I would say almost anyone our age remembers what they were doing when the space shuttle "Challenger" lifted off the launch pad and exploded 72 seconds later. It seemed like the entire world was watching. It was supposed to make history as the first teacher ever to go into Space; however history took a twist and seven lives were lost as their families, friends and the nation watched.
I don't remember why I didn't go to school that day, but I remember being at Wal-Mart (of all places) with my mom and I told her that I was going to the electronic department to watch the shuttle lift off on all of the TV's. Other shoppers happened to stop and watch the lift off too. I would say you could hear the GASP across the nation as the shuttle disintegrated. 
I was 9 years old at the time, yet I remember it as though it was yesterday.

In other news...I went by this afternoon to pick up Devin's birthday cake, it turned out looking really cool. Devin keeps opening the box to take another look.



No comments:

Post a Comment