Friday

My First Gift.

Let me start by saying I am not ready for December. 
These are the 10 requirements for December.
1. Celebration
2. Festivities
3. Decorations
4. Baking
5. Gifts
6. Excitement
7. Dinners
8. Shopping
9. Peace
10.Bubbly Attitude

Currently I do not possess of any of it's requirements. 
This is the month that we are supposed to reflect on Christ's birth, our Savior's arrival, our peace on earth. Instead it's become a commercialized, stress induced countdown to the big day. 
It is supposed to be  the big day where we wake up with joyful hearts and praise for the Messiah, but instead, it's the big day where, you know, you receive that one materialistic thing you have been wanting to get your hands on for weeks. Or maybe even the big disappointment that you didn't get the thing that you were hoping for.  Even those of us who would like to keep it simple and keep it about Jesus gets pulled in, as the season steadily evolves into a secular holiday. 
I feel ashamed to be depressed about this glorious time of year, but not having a handle on life during this time of year really brings me down.

Just like always, God knows exactly when to show up. As I acknowledged the calendar on Thursday, December 1, 2016 and took a deep breath, God came through for me. It was dinner time and Stroker and I decided on O'Charley's. Brooke had fallen asleep on the couch and Devin was in his room with the PlayStation remote in his hand.  I asked Devin if he wanted to come to dinner with us just like always (but he always declines). We told Brooke to get up and get ready but she was too sleepy.
The next thing I knew, Devin was putting on his shoes.
Wait...was he actually going to join us for dinner?! 
 He never joins us for dinner.  
I tried my best not to act giddy or over excited (although I wanted to). The three of us went to dinner., had pieces of a conversation, spent quality time together and had a great meal.  
It felt so good for Devin be with us. I came back home feeling awesome. 
I got out the Christmas tree and had it decorated before bedtime.  
There is no gift on earth that would have meant more to me than Devin being a part of a family dinner.
Thanks God...you knew just what I wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment