Friday

There's a lot to be Thankful for

Although I was ready to kick into slow gear, "aint nobody got time for that". I got up a little earlier on Sunday, November 20, 2016 because it was my Sunday to bring breakfast to church. After breakfast, church and lunch at Chili's, I headed to Sparta to color my moms hair. She wanted to darken it up a little because she said that she "looks stupid with blonde hair at her age".  She almost backed out of coloring it though because she said it freezes her to get her hair wet.  We managed to get the color on and keep her warm long enough to get her hair dry.
And I like to play on snapchat with her too...
So, after I got mom all dolled up, I went to visit daddy and Phyllis for a while too. When I got to dads, I was in for a surprise. I didn't see Phyllis at first and then daddy told me that she was in the bedroom. I started to sit down on the couch, but daddy told me to go on back to the bedroom.  He told me that Phyllis couldn't get up because her titanium brace on her hip had broken and she was going to have to have surgery again.  How does that even happen?  After all her recovery, she has to start over on her right side.  I didn't visit long because I knew she was uncomfortable and wanted to rest.  Life sure can throw some curve balls.

Thank you God for blessing me with both a mom and dad in my life for the past 41 years.

Phyllis' surgery went well on Tuesday, November 21, 2016. Stroker and I went to visit her at the hospital later in the evening. She was in pain, but in good spirits.

I worked all day on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 and then came home to cook for Thanksgiving.
I made mashed potatoes, corn, mac-n-cheese, potato salad, dressing, gravy, rolls and desert. Basically everything (except the turkey). This was the first year that I cooked the whole meal myself.
Later in the evening, breaking news came across the news that a Gatlinburg wild fire had started and the high winds of 60+ mph was spreading it fast. Gatlinburg has been evacuated and hundreds of structures are burning. The drought and the wind are feeding the fire.
Thank the Lord we are at home safe tonight and prayers for those affected by this.
We got up Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24, 2016 and watched the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade while we got ready. We took the morning kind of slow and headed to moms around noon.
When I got to moms, I got the table set and the rolls warmed up. Darlene and Gary dropped off the turkey and headed out.
It was definitely a non-traditional Thanksgiving this year. 
There were only four of us there for dinner.
Kevin dropped off drinks and left, Tiffany, Kendal and the kids stopped by for about 20 minutes and Katlin came by for a few minutes. 
Times are changing and so are people.  
The world we live into today is based on convenience.
Traditions are a thing of the past. 
Truth is, people will one day be a thing of the past.  
Thank you Lord for another Thanksgiving at my momma's house.  
Here lately, I catch myself watching momma and conciously trying to grasp what it will be like to not see her in her chair, or pouring a glass of milk, or munching on Frito chips. 
I look at her in the present and visualize who she was 20 years ago when she could cut the grass, plant rose bushes, trim hedges and work in her garden pond.  When she kept a clean kitchen, polished furniture and swept floors.
I miss momma then, but I sure am blessed to still have her today, sitting in a rocker, in her housecoat, enjoying a plate full of Thanksgiving.  God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment