Sunday

Fall, Fall, Fall

I received a phone call from my dad around 10 am on Thursday, September 1, 2016. He doesn't usually call me that time of day so I wandered what was going on when I answered.  He first asked if I was working. I told him "yes" and asked if he was working. He replied "no" and continued to tell me that he was at the hospital with Phyllis. She had fallen and they thought both of her hips were broke, possibly even her back. He sounded worried, so I told him that I would come over there at lunch. After I got off the phone with him I began to think about how worried he sounded. I decided to head on over to be with them.
There were tests, scans and procedures for hours. Phyllis was in a lot of pain. Finally around 4 pm they concluded that her left hip was broken and her right femur had broken at the point where it joins her artificial hip. The good news is that her spine and back were okay. They told us that they would have her in surgery around 6 pm.
I hung out with dad while they done hours of surgery on Phyllis.  Daddy worked on crossword puzzles.

It was around 10 pm when the doctor came up to the room to tell dad how it had gone. He mostly just prepared dad for the worst. His entire speech was about nursing homes and never walking again. When I spoke up about how Phyllis was strong willed and was not one to lie around, he abruptly responded that "most people her age don't recover from breaking one hip...and she has broken both."  This is not what daddy needed to hear. You could see the hurt on his face. 
After Phyllis was back in the room and pumped full of pain meds (which helped only a little), Daddy and I both headed home for the night.
Tuesday, September 2, 2016 was day one for Phyllis to begin her recovery and show Dr. Roberts how strong she really was. Stroker and I went by the hospital to visit. She was alert and wiggling her feet because that is all she could do to build her legs back at this point. It was good to see her on this side of surgery. The doctor was already saying that she may go to rehab instead of the nursing home. 
After we left the hospital, we went to dinner at the Dipsy Doodle to have dinner in celebration of Jim and Phyllis Gaw's anniversary. There were about 20 of us there. It was a surprise anniversary party and they seemed quite surprised.
We spent the majority of Saturday, September 3, 2016 driving to Sparta, Monterey, Cookeville and Algood.  Some Saturdays are for sight seeing. It's so nice outside. It feels like summer, but the calendar says it's fall. I don't know if I should get a watermelon or pumpkins.
We started Sunday, September 4, 2016 at church, just like always, and then lunch at Rib City. We visited Phyllis in the hospital for a while and she is really determined to make a full recovery. It's nice to see someone so optimistic. 
We ended the day at our church picnic at Cane Creek. The weather was nice and the food was yummy.
Monday, September 5, 2016 was Labor Day, so we all celebrated my visiting mom, Mildred, and yard work for a while. We are still trying to find places to use the rest of this flat rock. Looks like other people are making the most of labor day too. I seen this old building on Spring St. being demolished. 
We want to cover our patio, something like moms, but we can't find any builders that will either show up to work or are already covered up with work.

They moved Phyllis over to the rehab center for hard core therapy to get her back up on her feet on Wednesday, September 7, 2016. We went by to visit her before church, but she was sleeping from such a hard day of exercise. After church we went to Cracker Barrel for dinner.
I attended the Board of Zoning appeals meeting on Thursday, September 8, 2016. I plead my case once again. Of course, the city was sympathetic, yet continued with their plans. Sorry, Not Sorry.
On Friday, September 9, I went for a micro-dermabrasion to rid the dead skin cells and make my skin feel smooth and soft. It makes me feel like this, even though the results aren't that successful.
I also took Brooke, Ella, and Mary to the football game.
Heather and I went to the Fall Creek Falls Festival on Saturday, September 10, 2016 and found some really neat crafts. We also ate some really good food. We spent most of the day there.
Sunday, September 11, 2016 was just that...A SUNny fall day. We were out in it all day too. Our view was mostly from the windshield of the truck, but it is still nice to be out and about instead of cooped up at the house. We made six deliveries, which is a lot for a Sunday. I really didn't expect it to be a busy day being such a solomn day in history, but once again...I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment