Friday

Friday Night Fire

We did it! we made it through the first week of school ON TIME! Now all we have to do is keep our morning routine that we have set this week...(Easier said than done).
The kids decided to spend the night with my sister to help out with her yard sale tomorrow. We took them to my sisters around 7pm and visited with her till 10. On the way home, Stroker started mumbling something about smelling burnt wires. I couldn't smell anything. As we drove ahead, we approached a semi truck in the distance that appeared to have sparks coming from it.
I guess since I could then see the sparks, my sense of smell decided to take part in the action ...All of a sudden I could smell what Stroker had been smelling.
"I do smell burnt wires" I said.  So he drove a little faster. The closer we got to the truck, the easier it was to see that the back wheel on the trailer was on fire. "Get up beside him" I said to Stroker. "I need to tell him to pull over".  Stroker thought that the driver would do one of two things...(1) ignore me (2) never make out what I was trying to tell him. Well, he was wrong. Neither of the two happened. When we pulled up beside the truck driver,  I had Stroker to blow the horn while I rolled down the window, pointed back at his wheel and said "YOUR TRAILER IS ON FIRE!"
The look on that guys face was pure panic.  He had that semi pulled over in 2.5 seconds, grabbed his fire extinguisher and ran to the back. Once he seen that the fire extinguisher wasn't getting the job done, he asked us to dial 911..so I called in the fire department.
This is my third vehicle fire incident on highway 111. When I was sixteen, I was driving home late one night and came upon an abandoned car that someone had set on fire on hwy 111. When I was 23, Devin and I were on our way to Stroker's one Friday afternoon and passed my nephew on the side of hwy 111 with his alternator on fire. I stopped to help him, yanked off my coat and beat the fire out. By the time the fire department arrived then, the flames were out. My coat was scorched, but luckily the 4 one hundred dollar bills that I had in the coat pocket that day had survived (once I remembered they were there).
We left right after these guys arrived.
I think it might be a good idea for me to just keep a fire extinguisher with me in my car...I'm just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment